Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Zen 1

Yesterday, Jessie and I were walking home from Bean Town and cut through the Sierra Madre Library parking lot. On a bench out behind the building, the library usually has a stack of books and magazines they're getting rid of for anyone to take. We stopped by to see if there was anything worth taking. I picked up some cool additions to my growing used book library: Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson; The Prince and the Pauper, by Mark Twain; an illustrated version of Julius Caesar published in 1967 (the artist gave Caesar an unusually large forehead for some reason...I got this one for my kids someday...I like to think ahead); and (the diamond in the rough) a copy of GeezerJock magazine. This is really a gem, I'm not kidding. You open up the cover and very first thing you see is a picture of a baseball trophy...an 8 inch tall bronze man swinging a bat and...wearing a knee brace. The back cover is a Michelob Ultra ad with the typical white, upper class, well groomed retired couple with really straight toothy (dentured) smiles and cable knit sweaters on a yacht with the tagline "You go full speed, or you don't go." I felt like this tagline could have worked equally well for one of those Detrol bladder control commercials....but I also think Johnny Cash's song "Ring of Fire" would be perfect for a hemmorrhoid cream add...so maybe it's best if I stay out of the advertising field.

The August 2007 issue of GeezerJock is at my house if any of you want to borrow it...for whatever reason.

No comments: